When my 7th graders asked if they could go on the school band trip....I said "Not without me!!" Of course, their dad (the parent who plays an instrument) wanted to go. My reasoning for going instead of dad was that we have girls and since he is a boy they would give him a group of boys and he wouldn't get to be with our girls. Thankfully, they were all fine with that!! Several weeks and couple of payments later I found out parent can't chaperone their own children. UM EXCUSE ME!! No exceptions!! Ok, I will have to work with this!! After all, I can just get with their chaperone and our groups can stick together. I GOT THIS!
The girls come home and reveal they know who is in their group!! Ok, tell me! One says my group has.....and her group has......!! Wait...you are in separate groups! UM EXCUSE ME! Girls how did this happen? We got to choose our own groups! Ok, this was their choice. So I will get to know 2 chaperones really well!! I GOT THIS!
The time comes for the parent's meeting about the trip. Good I can get more information!! I am told that 7th graders need to learn to be responsible (agreed - to an extent). As a matter of fact....the band director lets the 7th graders loose at Universal and they don't have to stay with their chaperone! UM EXCUSE ME! We are told not to worry because chaperones (that's me and 26 other adults) will be everywhere and students (all 104 of them) must stay in groups of no less than 4 for safety and chaperones are required to call students on their cell randomly throughout the day to check on them. Right, I can call them and check on them and they have to stay in groups of 4!! I GOT THIS!!
Now it is time for the chaperone's meeting. I am told all about the responsibilities of the chaperone's and the measure taken to keep the kids safe. (Like the security guards they hire to man the halls in the hotel to make sure no kids leave and nobody enters) This makes me feel a lot better about the trip!! However, as time draws near for the 12 hr bus ride (twice in 4 days) and a bit of freedom I am not sure I am ready for my kids to have.....anxiety and nerves begin to build even more!! The girls give me a copy of the itinerary, which is very detailed. Being the type A person that I am, having this schedule helps!! YEP, I GOT THIS!!
Oh, mommy, we saw your group today! Ok, do you know anyone in my group. Yes! (looks on their faces I can't interpret). Um..mommy? Yes, girls.
You have a group of 7th grade BOYS!! UM EXCUSE ME!!!!!! I DON'T GOT THIS!!! Those of you that know me know that what followed was a....PANIC ATTACK!!!
However, after encouraging words from my husband and family I was able to calm down and realize that God may be trying to get my attention!! Nothing is going the way I thought it would. So instead of panicking I am going to pray and embrace the fact that I have a loving God that never leaves me!!
"do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4: 6-7
I tell you this story because as I have experienced it personally.....I am reminded that not only does God have a sense of humor, but HE'S GOT THIS!!!
"...fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
So many times as a woman that is: a mom, independent, and type-A, I try to do things myself. Then when it just doesn't seem to work I take it to God. It is time....I will ask God to be in my group (and my children's groups) so that we GOT THIS together!!!
"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalms 121:1-2
So as I prepare to take this trip in the very near future I ask that you pray, not just for me and my children, but also for each of these students, chaperone's, bus drivers and school faculty that will be going as well!!
No comments:
Post a Comment