Thursday, February 9, 2012

Let's Get Perspective People!!


I feel like I should have those bubbles that say “SMACK”, “SLAP” and “POW” over my head like in the comic books!!! Not because of the whining and tantrums in life but because of the reality slaps and smacks I get from disciplining my children. I have always heard that the Lord works in mysterious ways and can speak to us through anything, any situation and any person. I never thought God would speak to me through my own instructions to my kids!! Well He has, He does and I know He will continue!! Everyone that has ever been around children has heard them whine about something that didn't go their way!! Most of us have not only heard it but seen the temper tantrums too. Well as children age those fits of whining and temper tantrums don't go away. The method of delivery evolves with their age. (“adults” included) We go from throwing ourselves in the floor, kicking and screaming to slamming doors and stomping up the stairs!! So as I am explaining to an unnamed 6th grader in my life....slamming the door and stomping around is not any different than a 2 yr old throwing themselves in the floor. I began to explain to her that all she has to do is tell me she is unhappy with the situation and why...I will gladly listen to her and we can try and work out a solution together!! Throwing a fit, slamming doors, and stomping around is just giving in to the anger and being selfish about things not going exactly as you want them too!! “SMACK” She apologized and explained why she was upset and we were able to come to a compromise!! She didn't completely understand my point but was willing to accept that I was the parent and compromise was better than the alternative! “SLAP” I walked away from that conversation thinking “Wow, if we could just express our unhappiness like this (in a loving, non confrontational way) all the time it would make for a better relationship with my children” “POW” I hear you God!!! I could hear Him saying to me: yes, my child, I am your father and I would love it if you could just express your unhappiness with me so that we may build a better/closer relationship! As adults we are still just as selfish throwing our temper tantrum and whining!! We just do it in the form of complaining, yelling, and many other self destructive actions!! Whether we vent our frustrations by talking about people behind their backs, indulging in the latest “break room” gossip, or simply bottling everything up and hoping it doesn't explode; We need to take a step back and get some perspective!! We should be taking our concerns to Christ in prayer and seeking His will for the situation!!

Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Psalm 107:28 & 29

We are all created by God, sinners saved only by His Grace!! All we need is Him. God provides everything in our lives, it is up to us to make wise decisions what to do with what He gives.

in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

We live in a world that's focus is ME and NOW! This is very dangerous!! Our children are being raised this way and are encouraged to expect it! So lets get some perspective people and teach our children to appreciate what they have and to focus on Christ first!! Let's lead by example!!

No comments:

Post a Comment