Saturday, August 4, 2012

You have been tagged in the following!!


Social media and technology are taking over!! Don't get me wrong, I love that I can chat, text, share pictures and keep up with my family members that live in other states!! However, there are many things about social media that concern me as well!!! I “say” this for many reasons!! First, when posting on social sites, you should image that your post is being projected on the side of a building for everyone to see. If anyone happens to miss it, don't worry I am sure someone took a picture of it so they can share it!! If not, then all those people who subscribe to your timeline and also have their account set to email or text them when someone posts, now have a copy of what you said and/or your picture in text or email form. Speaking of pictures, imagine that every picture you post is also hand delivered to everyone so they have a copy for themselves. (Did you know that when you post a picture there is an option for viewers to download a copy to their computer) Surely they wouldn't do anything harmful with that picture even though there is all that free photo editing software available. Yes, that picture of you finally back in your bikini could be someones desktop background. (And I am not just talking about your hubby, Just sayin). Those of you with kids on facebook....are they the minimum age facebook requires in order to have an account?? If not, and you are aware of it, you just gave your child permission to lie! Therefore, the next time you catch them lying to you just remember you allowed them to for facebook. Now some of you may say.....simmer down you can set your pictures so that only friends can see them. Yes, I CAN. However, the friend that took the pictures of your daughter and posted them may not have done that. Plus we are talking about teenagers. Will my children have a facebook account one day? Most likely, however, not at the minimum age facebook requires but when I decide they are mature enough to handle themselves and the information they post. Which means there will be some of their friends (and even family) they won't be friends with on facebook because those individuals are not responsible with the information and photos they post.

Second, you should also remember that when posting on facebook the reader can't hear the tone in your voice or on what words you place emphasis. I mean the statement “shut up” could mean to “be quiet” or it could mean “no way, are you kidding”. Just depends on how it is said....can't hear that on facebook!! I mean we have gone from having to worry about someone stealing your lunch money....to cyberbullying, sexting, and “hanging” games! Just imagine what the leadership of this country will be like in another 10, 15, 20 years when these kids are the adults! Kinda scary!!

Lastly, You should never air your dirty laundry, post something controversial and not be willing to accept debate, or post one of those comments that insinuates the target audience knows you are “speaking” to them!! I mean some of those “listen to what my 3 year old said” comments may come back to bite that poor 3 year old if they ever run for an office!! Not to mention....we don't need to know what your child calls each part of the human anatomy, nor do we need to see pictures of your child (even if they are doing something cute) without clothes on!! It is just not appropriate!!

Also, remember those post made by your friends show up in your newsfeed because you put them there!! No, you didn't make those posts yourself but by accepting the person's “friendship” you are including them in your newsfeed. There are many options that allow you to stay friends with the person but not see every little post. Don't complain about it just fix it!!!

Are these deal breakers...No. Will I shut down my facebook account....No. However, it may result in deleted friendships!! Now for those of you thinking “Girl you are being controversial and/or insinuating the target audience knows you are talking to them...be ready for debate”...I am not speaking to anyone in particular.  These are just my opinions and me venting my concerns with social media and hoping to make other people think about this as a result!!! If it ruffles your feathers then I would say maybe you should reconsider some of your posts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment